Photo Credit: Podium Nutrition
Enjoying Morning Chalk Up? Help to ensure that we can continue to be an independent voice for the community and sport we love by supporting our journalism today.
Fans of Mat Fraser and the Buttery Bros are in for a treat this summer, as a new partnership was announced Sunday, forming a new supplement and nutrition company set to formally launch in July of this year.
The company, titled Podium Nutrition, will launch with hydration, pre-workout, and whey protein supplements in multiple flavor offerings, expanding to include additional functional food and beverage options in the future.
One big thing: This first-of-its-kind partnership brings an interesting two-pronged approach as far as insight and expertise are concerned to a highly competitive supplement industry and continuously evolving CrossFit community.
- Mat Fraser is the most dominant athlete in CrossFit history, and is notoriously meticulous in his approach to training and the subsequent lifestyle surrounding an elite athlete in the sport.
- In winning a record five consecutive titles not only has he built a comprehensive understanding of the demands of the sport, but also a roadmap on how to best overcome those demands.
- Fraser: “I wanted to offer something authentic to the community that would give them what they need and nothing they don’t for the type of training we do. I relied on my experience as a competitor in CrossFit, as well as insight from experts in sports nutrition to formulate the best products possible for the sport.”
The Buttery Bros, filmmakers Heber Cannon and Marston Sawyers, have spent the last decade travelling the world, telling the stories of hundreds of elite athletes and everyday community members in CrossFit affiliates in more than two dozen countries.
- In their travels they have seen the various evolutions of the broader community from a unique perspective, capturing the community’s story through video while also actively maintaining their own fitness through the CrossFit methodology.
- Cannon: “Our mission has always been to make CrossFit accessible and fun for everyone, now we want to take this a step further and make proper nutrition and supplementation accessible to all with Podium.”
Early signs of the partnership’s potential success have already come in the form of Fraser’s influence on the supplement industry stemming from his recent interview on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast.
Podium will officially launch in July and their initial products will be available through retailers and online through the company’s website. At the time of launch, products will be available for purchase in the United States, Canada, U.K., E.U., and Australia with additional markets being added after the initial launch.
The bottom line: The broader CrossFit experience is far from monolithic, so by pairing a dominant athlete who has spent his career redefining the limits of success in the sport, and professional storytellers with a global network of experience in the community, it would seem that a partnership of this nature would look to more accurately provide for the nutritional needs of athletes and hobbyists across the spectrum.